So, this weekend I finished off the window framing that had taken over my life, and finally came to a finish that I’m happy with. The window posts consist of two pieces of 18mm x 44mm pine strip, cut and angled such that they present what appears to be a concave-shaped single interior post. Working out the bevels to cut, given the multiple angles involved – front window and side window rakes being 20 degrees and 12 degrees respectively – was a nightmare that I don’t recommend to anyone. A thorough command of 3D trigonometry would come in handy here. Sadly it’s been 20 years since I did 3D trig at school, so I basically just measured and fudged until I had the right angles. Read More
So, for the last couple of weeks I’ve been building the basic frame of my new shell for the sim. This bears some brief description before I launch off into the actual build experience.
Sim shells (aka enclosures) are many and varied in type. They range from simple DIY efforts right up to faultless replicas of the nose section of the aircraft being simulated. Some adventurous builders with cash to spare even buy the cockpit from a real, scrapped aircraft and remodel this. While this is obviously the most accurate way to do it, it’s also costly and requires lots of space and metalworking skills; none of which I have. Furthermore, having thought about it, I wasn’t concerned about the way the shell looks from outside. It’s what it looks like inside that counts. So no need to create a near-perfect replica of an aircraft shell, skin and paint it etc. Read More
At the Easter weekend, with my ear back to something resembling normal and my will to live renewed, I set about building the new base for the sim. This was before my weight concerns reared their ugly head and hence I was building with MDF as originally planned.
Today I have made a very important, and significant, decision on the project. I am, basically, going to throw out everything I’ve built so far and start again from scratch.
Lest you think I am mad, there is method to my madness. It all stems from the change in focus of the project to add an enclosure. Having planned it out, it became obvious that the existing console I have built is not ideally constructed to fit into the enclosure I am planning. So I got to thinking about replacing it or at least heavily modifying it. This started me off on a course of thinking, but what really got me was when I worked out how much the enclosure (plus equipment plus people) would weigh. Which is to say, a lot.