Very little to report this weekend, I’ve had other stuff to do so I only managed a couple of hours building. Thanks to the Great British non-Summer, it is at least pleasant working conditions in the build room rather than the sauna that July usually is. Read More
Over the last few weeks, I’ve been hard at work building my new shell. I decided to hold off on posting progress here until there was something substantial to report, and because of the slow pace of work, it’s been a while. But I’m now ready to tell all.
Having cleared the decks, so to speak, I wanted to make sure I got the proportions for the new shell correct. To do this, I need to be able to sit in the approximate right place, at the right height, and be able to measure to the various places I can move, as well as the outer dimensions of the shell itself. So, first thing, I decided to fix up one of my recently-acquired Ford Galaxy seats with a base to bring it to the right height. Read More
Build progress goes very slowly at the moment, as it has been for some time. I’m not finding much time to get any work done. But this weekend I have managed to do a little bit more on the MIP frame; specifically on the glareshield. Short update and photos follow… Read More
At the Easter weekend, with my ear back to something resembling normal and my will to live renewed, I set about building the new base for the sim. This was before my weight concerns reared their ugly head and hence I was building with MDF as originally planned.
Today I have made a very important, and significant, decision on the project. I am, basically, going to throw out everything I’ve built so far and start again from scratch.
Lest you think I am mad, there is method to my madness. It all stems from the change in focus of the project to add an enclosure. Having planned it out, it became obvious that the existing console I have built is not ideally constructed to fit into the enclosure I am planning. So I got to thinking about replacing it or at least heavily modifying it. This started me off on a course of thinking, but what really got me was when I worked out how much the enclosure (plus equipment plus people) would weigh. Which is to say, a lot.
My last post brings us more or less up to date with progress on the project. From here on in it’ll be real-time updates, probably a lot shorter and easier to digest, and a lot more building tips rather than grand rants on the state of the world. Read More