I’m finally back at it. After several months not even desktop simming at all, instead playing Elite: Dangerous fairly obsessively instead, I’ve finally gotten back to the desktop sim project. I have had a fun afternoon with power tools, and I’m reasonably pleased with my labours.
With it being a long weekend for Easter here in the UK (happy Easter all my viewers, BTW!), I thought I would get some serious work done and catch up on the last couple of months where I’ve done next to nothing. Hmm. Not so much, as it turns out. But I did get a few hours work done today, mostly cleaning the build area ready for another junk and offcut collection, and for the next phase of skinning the shell.
One thing I did do today was work on the yoke system. If you’ll recall, my existing system used a pair of sliders to which are attached pillow block bearings to allow the yoke shaft to rotate freely, with the sliders being mounted on drawer runners to allow for back and forth movement. This system works well enough but after due consideration I decided that side-mounting the runners, and the general construction of the sliders using waste wood, was not good enough, and so I set about replacing them.
I had planned to leave this post until later in the yoke build, but since I anticipate that it might take a few more weeks to finish completely, I wanted to post some pictures for the curious. This post is going to be largely content-free and photo-heavy. Read More
Not a full post, this, but just a note to say that I reached a major milestone today when I was able to test-fit the yoke assembly (or, at least, the left-hand side of it) into the frame. The rod-carrier – which is mounted on drawer rails to allow it to slide back and forth – is now mounted to the frame in the correct place, and with that done I was able to push the yoke rod itself – complete with handle – into place and verify that the pillow block bearings are correctly placed and that the yoke rotates smoothly. The in-out movement is not quite so smooth, but I think a quick oil of the bearings will help that.
Much remains to be done. While all the in-handle electronics are done, all buttons tested and working, and the innards of both CH yokes put into a nice box ready to be mounted on the frame, I still have to mount and configure the potentiometers for both axes, and then work out how to fix lengths of bungee cord to provide resistance to movement and automatic centering of the controls.
A full post on the yoke build – with exciting pictures – will be forthcoming soon, when the right-hand side is done and mounted and I can test the double-yoke movement.
But hey; it’s progress. Right?
(This is the first post in what will become a series on the building of the dual-yoke system for the cockpit project. You’ll find an image gallery at the end, as an experiment instead of threading the images throughout the post.)
It’s been a while since there was an update here. I haven’t been doing much on the project of late, as real life has intruded – as it tends to do. However, over the last few weeks I have been planning for and acquiring the parts to open a second front on the project, to give me an opportunity to work on something other than just the shell. Among the many items that I need to fabricate for the sim is the yoke assembly. I decided to get started on this as my second string of activity, and I’ve been building the yoke – slowly – for the last few weeks. Read More
( 24/01/10: UPDATED with comments from mycockpit.org.)
This week I made a spec purchase which I hope will turn out to be very successful. If so, it’s something I’ll be recommending to fellow simmers who are in need of small-size, high-resolution LCD panels.
The display screens in airliner cockpits and in Garmin glass-cockpit systems are usually between 8 and 12″ diagonal, often 16:9 portrait, with variable resolutions but usually quite a high DPI compared to regular PC TFT monitors. These are pretty hard to get hold of, as manufacturers of these panels don’t sell to end-users, and even if they did you’d be hard pressed to put together all the associated hardware to drive them – and connect them to your PC – without some serious electronics skills.
This is why I was rather excited to hear about Nanovision’s Mimo series of small LCD screens. Not least because they weren’t hideously expensive.
I didn’t get anywhere near as much done this weekend as I’d planned (thus proving once again that my estimation skills are poor), but I did get some useful work done on the power cabling for the console interior.
There are several devices within the console that require mains power: the two PSUs for PC1 and PC2, two monitors, the power brick for the tablet PC3, the power brick for the UMPC PC4 (via an extension into the pedestal), a USB hub and a network switch. And that’s just what I’ve come up with so far. All of these need cabling, and I can’t just let the cables float about within the console interior however they like. That would be an invitation to foul the controls or circuit boards yet to come. So clips and ties were the order of the day.