More MIP fun

Build progress goes very slowly at the moment, as it has been for some time. I’m not finding much time to get any work done. But this weekend I have managed to do a little bit more on the MIP frame; specifically on the glareshield. Short update and photos follow…

The glareshield tier of the MIP is very simply. Essentially two triangles with a central rectangle. So with a little bit of careful calculation I was able to frame up the triangular parts, leaving a rectangular gap in the middle.

The glareshield frame begins to take shape

Then I installed a box inside this gap. The box is 6mm ply on the base and sides, and 12mm ply on the top. This is where the electronics for the MCP will go. The side-panels will have only a couple of switches and knobs, so no need for complex boxing here as the electronics will ride in the middle along with the rest.

The glareshield has now acquired a central box for the MCP and an awning

Finally, on top of the box and the frame I installed the glareshield awning. This is just 6mm MDF sheeting, which is rather smaller than the usual, but it’s only a placeholder at the moment. Later on I will add a second layer of MDF underneath the awning edge, cover it with thin foam, and then put a vinyl leather-effect wrap on it. I also need to add a rear awning, which will seal the gap between the edge of the front awning and the window frame, sealing the box. Since this will need to be able to open and shut to gain access to the electronics, I’m taking a little more time to design this.

The front awning in place - rear to be installed

While doing all this, I also discovered that it’s possible to chisel an angled edge into a piece of MDF without any tearing, which is something that will come in handy later. I just need to work out a good way to seal it before painting.

In other news, having done a seating test, I discovered that my yoke slide mechanism needs to move to the left as it’s not adequately centered with regard to the footwell. Bit of a schoolboy error, that one! Luckily it’s easy enough to move and I hadn’t done much with it since installing it.

Soon, I want to get on to the roof covering for the front section of the cockpit, for which I’m planning to use black-out cloth, stiffened with glue and paint, as a sort of poor man’s fibreglass.